Menopause mentoring - 'The best hour I've had in the last two years!'
We successfully piloted our menopause mentoring for FREE throughout November and December.
Many of the women we spoke to were off work sick, although some were not, and all had a wide range of different peri menopause experience. The one thing all our clients had in common was a need to understand more about what was happening to them and a chance to talk it all through with someone who understands.
Menopause is just one of many things women have to deal with, but it can have a big impact on a lot of other things in our lives. Our appointments proved a real chance to discuss anything of concern to menopausal women.
Issues discussed including:
- Anxiety - including work anxiety, sleep anxiety, driving anxiety and all round general horrible non sourced feelings of anxiety
- Sleep - why can't I, what can I do about it
- Is this a symptom? (Itches, allergies, anger, my hair, my nails, my bladder, irrationality)
- HRT - is it for me, how do I get it, what are the alternatives?
- Why can't I do my job like I always have? What shall I do about it?
- Sex life and partner relationships
- Caring responsibilities with children, with parents (including school options, carer options) - with partners
- What does the future look like?
- How can I take the positive steps I know I need to?
100% of women mentored said they appreciated the discussion and learned new things.
We signposted all women to local services and groups they often hadn't been aware of before. Some started new activities on our suggestion.
For all women we recommended
- Understanding and owning your symptoms and feelings
- Feeling confident to say 'I am peri menopausal' with self validation
- A clear honest discussion with your GP when you have decided what you want help for / with
- A clear honest discussion with your loved ones, friends and work if you are able
- Putting yourself first, for a change, as often as possible
- Living a healthy life where you can including: eating well and drinking water, reducing bad habits, exercise, social interaction
Some women came back for a second and even third appointment.
We look forward to offering more Menopause mentoring when our paid service launches in the New Year.